It's simple to pull together and is a healthy dinner option since you're replacing traditional pasta with spaghetti squash. You can really add in or substitute any veggies you like! I used yellow bell pepper and mushrooms.
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground Beef (grass fed, if possible) or lean ground Turkey
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans organic diced tomatoes, OR 3 cups FRESH diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can organic tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Sprinkling of cheese (if desired)
To prepare the spaghetti squash:
Cut a medium spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds. Place face down in a glass baking dish with 1 inch water. Microwave 10-12 minutes. Cool for a minute, then use a fork to shred “spaghetti” out of the skin. Use paper towels to soak up moisture just a bit.
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, crumble in meat and cook until browned, stirring occasionally. Drain fat, set cooked meat aside.
- Heat olive oil in skillet; once hot add onion and green peppers and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes, adding in garlic & mushrooms during last 30 seconds of sautéing.
- Pour in diced tomatoes, and sauce. Stir in fresh parsley, the basil, oregano, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring just to a gentle boil then add cooked spaghetti squash noodles and cooked meat, stir and submerge noodles in liquid, then reduce heat to a simmer for 2-5 minutes until heated through.
- Garnish with fresh chopped basil and a touch of cheese. Serve warm.
This recipe serves 6, and if you're following the 21 Day Fix plan, would count as one red, one green and 1/2 purple.